Federal Assistance

Federal Emergency Management

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has deployed mobile registration intake centers throughout the state to assist disaster survivors with applying for assistance for situations like loss of income caused by Hurricane Ian. Call 800.621.FEMA (3362) to apply for certain types of disaster programs and obtain information about others. In addition, FEMA created a webpage that will provide frequent updates about impacts from Hurricane Ian, https://www.fema.gov/disaster/hurricane-ian, which has overall and state-specific information and resources related to rumors and scams.

Florida survivors who live in Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Hardee, Hillsborough, Lee, Manatee, Orange, Osceola, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota and Seminole counties can apply for federal assistance. Be sure to have the following information ready: phone number where you can be contacted; address at the time of disaster; current address; social security number; general list of damage and losses; banking information (if you choose direct deposit); insurance information including policy number, agent and company name (if you’re insured).

Small Business Administration

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) provides disaster loans and business counseling for people and business affected by a natural disaster. Learn more about SBA disaster loans, which Florida counties are eligible and how to apply on the SBA’s website. Small businesses that have suffered a substantial economic injury disaster loan of up to $1.5 million to meet necessary financial obligations (bills the company would have paid if the disaster had not occurred). The SBA also offers physical disaster loans up to $1.5 million to repair or replace damaged real estate, equipment, inventory and fixtures. These loans will cover uninsured or under-insured losses.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance

File for D-SNAP (Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) to receive short-term food assistance benefits from the USDA Food and Nutrition Service. Anyone in the affected areas is eligible, and you can use the money you save on food to replace clothes and other necessities. Visit the disaster assistance website or call 866.762.2237 for more information.

OSHA Emergency Response Guidance

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has a publication, “Principal Emergency Response and Preparedness Requirements and Guidance,” which provides general requirements for workplaces as well as for specific operations. OSHA also has a flood preparedness and response webpage that provides guidelines that may be applicable to workers involved in assessing and/or cleaning up damage.

IRS Excise Tax

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will waive tax penalties for disasters on a case-by-case basis; it may be beneficial to call the IRS at 800.829.1040 or visit the IRS website.

Back to Disaster Resources Menu